Corporate Banking Legal Counsel
This role will primarily support the Global Banking business with a focus on advising the Loans and Specialised Finance business lines of. Financing transactions for these business lines will typically include corporate bilateral lending, structured and secured syndicated financing, real estate financing, sponsor-supported project financing, acquisition financing and fund financing.
The candidate will be expected to:
- Work directly with the various business teams in reviewing and assisting in the structuring, drafting and negotiation of legal documentation and managing, from a legal risk perspective, the documentation process for financing transactions;
- Together with other members of the team, create, develop, maintain and update precedent documents and other agreements necessary to support the delivery by the Global Banking/ Transaction Banking businesses of the Bank in APAC of regional products and services;
- Advise and interact with other internal stakeholders and committees including Agency, Compliance, Risk and VPG in relation to legal issues arising in the course of advisory and transactional work;
- Instruct, supervise and maintain relationships with external lawyers across APAC;
- Assist in the management of legal risk in relation to financing transactions and matters through compliance with Policies and Procedures;
- Contribute to the creation, development, maintenance and communication of know-how, legal updates, legal policies and procedures;
- Keep abreast of legal and regulatory developments in relation to banking and financing matters affecting the Corporate Banking Legal team in APAC.
TECHNICAL & BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES
The candidate should:
- Have strong legal analytical skills with a proven ability to manage, execute and complete cross-border financing transactions. Prior experience in Energy or Project Finance or Fund Finance principles and products will be advantageous;
- Be independent and thorough in the execution of his/her work and be commercially minded while also maintaining principles of conduct;
- Have strong time management skills and the ability to effectively prioritise competing work demands and to meet tight deadlines when required;
- Be a self-motivated and confident individual who is able to manage a diverse workload;
- Have strong interpersonal skills and be capable of working both autonomously and as part of a cross-disciplinary and cross-border team; and
- Be a good team player who is conscientious, adaptive, open to acquiring new skills and working across diverse banking products.
- Legally qualified in England, Hong Kong, Singapore, or any other common law jurisdiction;
- Have between two to five years of post-qualification legal experience in cross-border banking and finance (preferably experience in an international law firm/ major local firm and/or international bank and specific experience in Project Finance or Fund Finance work);
- Excellent command of spoken and written English; and
- Chinese language fluency (spoken and written) would be advantageous.
Company Reg No.: 201131609D | Licence No.: 11C4684