Solution Data Architect
Remote for now - but office locations are in London and Den Haag (Netherlands)
6 month contract with extension
As Data Architect you'll bring your data and technical expertise, as well as commercial know-how to help us get the very best value out of our enterprise data and IT solutions. That means, developing architecture and designs that will strategically match technical solutions to business needs and have a measurable impact on Shell's performance.
You'll need to call on your specialist expertise to spot business process opportunities and keep abreast of the latest, emerging technologies and IT service capabilities, as you deliver and advise on data architecture for the business segment and address any data architecture issues. You will need to identify potential new data models and data integrations, as well as manage changes and improvements.
A natural communicator, nurturing strong stakeholder relations will be vital to your success. You'll use your negotiating and influencing skills to help build a shared vision across a range of global, virtual teams, from designers and architects to business and projects.
The assignment of segments may change, but are usually within one of the following areas: Global Functions, Downstream, Upstream, IG & NE and P&T.
The Data Architect will be expected to work the relationship angle as well as be the designer. Ensuring data is organised and structured to meet the needs of the business. Ensuring data can be easily understood by end consumers / data citizens. Ensuring This involves managing relationships with key stakeholders across Data Management and Analytics functions, IT Engineering, Data Engineers, IT managers, business analysts, business process Owners, Programme and Project managers, Data Definitions Owners, Data Value Owners, business stakeholders and other Architects (solution/segment).
Additional accountabilities are as follows:-
- Implement the enterprise data architecture artifacts and governance according to the data architecture standards, for any and all solution architectures, including data models, mastership, and utilization for the data within the business
- Identify and propose potential data model and data integration changes and improvements, including decommissioning systems and master data management solutions, data services.
- Work directly with Architecture functions, Portfolio Mgt, the IT managers, Project/Business IT, P&T Data Science CoE and Finance Operations organizations teams to implement the target portfolio and address data architecture issues in the portfolio.
- Big Data Design experience a plus - implementing solutions using Hadoop, Azure Data Lake Store, Azure DWH (or equivalent for AWS) and NoSQL Database technologies. Microsoft Professional Program Certificate in Big Data or equivalent certification seen as advantage
- To support the Data Platform, Market Standard and digitalization strategies
- To support the Value from Data (VfD) agenda
Skills & Requirements
Along with your strong can-do and hands-on attitude, you'll be highly organized and self-motivated, with an appetite for uncertainty and risk. Beyond that, we're looking for:
- Excellent data modelling skills, and a good understanding of what makes a robust and scalable data architecture.
- Experience in business and IT requirements gathering and business analysis.
- Experience with System Architect, Powerdesigner and/or E-R tooling is a plus
- Ability to initiate, plan and develop data architectures
- Organized, methodical and detail orientated.
- Experience in a multi-disciplined IT environment with strong expertise in Data Analysis
- Experienced, global, virtual team worker
- Experience of project delivery methodologies (Agile etc)
- Knowledge of all architecture aspects and keen to stay up to date with key developments in IT - affinity with the other Enterprise Architecture domains (process, applications, infrastructure, security)
- Track record in delivering value, from opportunity identification to delivery, dealing with unknowns and taking decision with incomplete set of information
- Strong communications and stakeholder management skills. Able to articulate a vision and build support for that vision in the wider team and organization.
- Strong leadership and people skills with the ability to coach and influence teams (without direct line authority) to meet new challenges.