GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION
Directs operation of the Nursing Service Department in accordance with current laws and regulations and goals and objectives. Oversees all aspects of the departmental operations and quality improvement efforts, including: developing and administrating programs and services, maintaining cost efficiency, training and coaching employees, and facilitating change within department. Responsible for establishing departmental policies and procedures to ensure programs and services meet or exceed Resident's needs and expectations.
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
B.S. degree in nursing from accredited school of nursing and be licensed in Commonwealth of Massachusetts. A minimum of five years experience in clinical nursing home management.
Programs and Services
* Ensure Resident satisfaction relating to Nursing Center.
* Maintain an environment of resident confidentiality, privacy, dignity and respect.
* Plan and organize the day-to-day functions of nursing center in accordance with current federal, state and local standards, and as may be directed by the Administrator, to ensure that the highest level of quality care is maintained at all times.
* Maintain regulatory compliance with Department of Public Health and other agencies as required.
* Provide coverage for Director of Andover Assisted Care as needed.
* Act as Nurse Manager on a daily basis during the M-F work week.
* Develop key departmental statistics that track and measure performance objectives, customer service levels, service delivery, quality and fiscal targets, and ensure alignment with strategic goals.
* Schedule department work hours; delegate administrative authority & responsibility to nursing center staff as necessary to perform assigned duties.
* Ensure nursing center staff perform all duties in accordance with acceptable nursing standards and a philosophy of person centered care.
* Schedule and monitor daily rounds and review residents' treatment and medications to ensure appropriate care.
* Review nurses'/doctors' notes to ensure proper documentation is maintained relating to residents' treatment, medications and conditions.
* Oversee the development and implementation of all resident assessments and care plans.
* Provide direct nursing care as necessary.
* Implement an effective quality assurance program and incident reporting and tracking program.
* Oversee the nursing center's infection control program and ensure it is developed and implemented in accordance with current regulations and standards.
* Oversee the nursing center's staff development program including staff orientation, training and in-service education.
* Develop and maintain written policies, procedures, & safety standards, and ensure appropriate level of training for all staff.
* Ensure all resident complaints and grievances are recorded, investigated and resolved.
* Ensure a clean and safe environment is maintained for residents and staff.
* Ensure equipment is maintained at appropriate frequencies and staff is trained on proper use.
* Recommend expense budgets and capital needs; analyze variances for efficient use of resources.
* Ensure appropriate social worker duties are performed.
* Ensure appropriate therapeutic recreation duties are performed.
* Oversee rehabilitation contract services and restorative program to ensure rehabilitation and restorative needs of residents are met.
* Develop & implement processes that facilitate effective communication between all levels of care within .
* Make recommendations to the Administrator concerning operations of the department. Report all potential problem areas and assist in developing and implementing corrective actions.
* Other related duties and responsibilities as assigned by Administrator.
* Ensure safe working environment for employees including SDS compliance, appropriate safety training, and follow-up to workplace accident patterns.
* Ensure safe and comfortable living environment for residents.
* Uphold a high level of customer satisfaction by communicating expectations, instituting staff training, and measuring resident satisfaction of departmental programs and services.
* Maintain focus on person centered care.
High Performance Results
* Maintain a cost effective and efficient operation.
* Implement and maintain Nursing Center policies and procedures.
* Provide supervision to Nursing Center staff and work closely with department supervisory staff to assure all standards are met.
* Develop and monitor departmental budget, reporting variances as appropriate.
* Maintain knowledge of external environment and incorporate necessary modifications to programs and services.
* Assist in achieving Strategic Planning goals.
* Communicate and uphold Core Values, adhere to policies and procedures, and comply with training requirements.
* Uphold Corporate Compliance Plan, report actual or potential Compliance issues to the Corporate Compliance Officer and demonstrate ethical conduct to staff and residents.
* Collaborate with residents and employees to meet departmental and community needs.
* Build effective departmental teams to carry out responsibilities.
* Communicate departmental and community goals to staff and solicit input in achieving objectives.
* Participate in committees as required.
* Advise EVP/COO and other department heads of departmental issues related to facility.
* Coordinate activities and special events in conjunction with other departments/residents.
Develop Self and Others
* Provide training and development opportunities for staff to reach full potential.
* Maintain current knowledge of Nursing Home industry and pursue training and self development opportunities.
* Other duties as assigned by supervisor from time to time.