Instrumentation Engineer Life science technologies - LabVIEW Expert
Initial 6 month freelance contract + extensions
The assignment requires to work onsite at their premises in Leuven. Therefore, working remote is not possible. Weekly onsite presence, according to team regulations, is required.
We are looking for an experienced Instrumentation Engineer with LabVIEW expertise to join our team in Leuven, to support the development of molecular analysis tools based on solid state nanopores. A successful candidate is an experienced professional in developing, deploying, and maintaining medium-to-large scale LabVIEW applications. The candidate shall be familiar with good programming and design practices and must master LabVIEW architecting of applications that handle several instruments. Our new team member will actively participate in the creation of new systems and iteratively evolve instrument concepts and implementations for internal and external stakeholders.
- Design, implement, and install custom LabVIEW applications for devices based on solid state nanopores. Software functions include: multiple channel data acquisition, data monitor and control, output data logging and work flow automation and standardization.
- Participate in hardware or software integration and verification: understand fundamentals of involved instrumentation and its interaction with your custom application
- Interact with the multidisciplinary team and break project specifications into manageable LabVIEW components and modules
- Apply design concepts for modularity, scalability, readability, and maintainability to achieve effective cohesion and contribute to the larger project
- Use your knowledge in software architectures and project configuration to manage the operation and data flow, and deploy responsive and non-blocking applications
- Design and execute verification plans together with application scientists: closely interact with device physicists, designers and process integration engineers for device development, as well as biophysics and biochemistry researchers for molecular assay development.
- Continuously review specifications, assess impact of changes, and proactively anticipate risks and bottlenecks
- Provide troubleshooting and debugging support for internal users
- Manage time effectively and quickly adapt to new project requirements and change requests
Required knowledge and skills
- You hold an MSc in Engineering or equivalent expertise acquired through proven professional experience & certified training
- You can demonstrate experience in developing and deploying medium to large applications in LabVIEW
- You are open to quickly learning and using new paradigms, patterns, frameworks, and libraries
- You have an interest in innovation and experience in a R&D setting. Experience with laboratory instrumentation is a plus.
- You have practical experience in prototyping and system development environment with an interdisciplinary team
- You can take ownership of a system and combine both a hands-on mentality and system thinking
- Direct practical experience with hardware development and verification of electronics and embedded systems is highly valued
- You are a team player with excellent communication skills and fluent in English
- Expert level of LabVIEW is strictly required