Photonic and Photo-acoustic Characterization Expert
Initial 12 month freelance contract + extensions
- Plan design-of-experiments (DoE) for characterization campaigns to validate components and (sub-)systems.
- Characterize PICs and on-chip building blocks including detectors, light sources, wavelength multiplexers, opto-mechanical components and so on using existing die- and wafer-level testers.
- Carry out experiments at device and module level.
- Design and build new characterization setups (photonic, electro-optic and opto-mechanic).
- Build imaging and sensing technology demonstrator systems.
- Support the developments of the diverse system building blocks and interact with the team of experts.
- Coordinate PIC packaging (optical, electrical).
- Participate in regular project meetings and contribute to reports and documentation.
Required knowledge and skills
- a PhD in Photonics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, or related field with several years of relevant experience
- In-depth knowledge of integrated photonics, especially in Si, SiN and III-V material systems
- Experience in photoacoustics and optomechanics is a strong plus
- Proven experience in building advanced characterization setups (photonic, opto-mechanic, electro-optic)
- Hands-on experience with photonic testing at chip, module, and system level
- Hands-on experience with fiber handling and the use of photonic test equipment (lasers, spectrum analyzers, power meters, polarization control, etc.)
- Experience writing software in C++, Python or MATLAB. Especially fluency in Python is a strong plus
- Experience with photonics and multiphysics design and simulation software (such as Comsol, Lumerical) is a strong plus
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, and debugging skills
- You can work according to agreed timelines and manage time efficiently according to the project schedules
- You take initiative and work on your own, while being part of a team