Software Engineer (Embedded/Robotics)
Initial 6 month contract + extensions
Leuven, Belgium (1-2 days remote per week possible)
In the context of the SAFEBOT project our client is looking for a Software Engineer (consultant). The project mission is to make robots and collaborative robots safe and productive around humans. The key goal is to develop a safety system that can be integrated into any robot and enable us to overcome the safety productivity dilemma the industry is currently facing. Robots should be "out of the box" safe. The SAFEBOT team features an agile collaborative and hands-on environment that fosters engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation. You will be doing software development, data-processing, data analysis, design of real-time visualisations, rapid problem solving.
- Acquire data, process, clean, sensor data from different sensor modalities and their SDKs, i.e., Radar, Lidar/ToF, Camera.
- Patch together different existing software layers (using different vendor APIs as well as custom code).
- Port sensor libraries to Arduino, Raspberry Pi or similar.
- Create visualisations from collected data.
- Plan, implement algorithms for calculations and analysis of live sensor data.
- Program robotic arms and mobile robots in ROS2.
- Develop a sensor model that can be tuned for simulation purposes.
- Map sensor data onto a robot digital twin model to monitor surrounding space.
- Develop embedded signal processing algorithms.
- Coordinate with program team members to implement design and work through design revisions.
- Document software thoroughly to ensure understandability and reusability for project continuation.
Required knowledge and skills
- Background and experience in Computer Science, Data Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field.
- Software development experience, using Python, C/C++.
- Experience with Git - You enjoy wrangling large amounts of data.
- You have a hands-on mentality - You have an analytical & solution-oriented mindset.
- You are a critical thinker, have high adaptability and a solid sense of ownership.
- You have outstanding interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate across groups.
- You have the capability to manage time independently, balancing needs of multiple parallel activities.